Burn injuries often take months to heal, especially if someone has endured second and third-degree burns. People suffer such injuries due to fires, scalding, contact with extremely hot objects, and electrical mishaps. If you have suffered a burn injury in an accident in Atlanta that was someone’s fault, you need to talk to an experienced attorney without any delay. Such accidents could refer to car accidents and collisions, premise conditions, and even defective products. In this post, you can learn more about Georgia laws and how to find a dependable lawyer for your case.
Damages for burn injury claims
For the unversed, burn injury claims are similar to other negligence claims. Depending on the nature of the injuries you have endured, you can recover medical bills for your current and future treatments, lost income, and pain & suffering. Because burn injuries often cause scarring and disfigurement besides physical impairment, the claim could be worth more, especially if you are unlikely to return to normal life after healing or have lost the ability to enjoy life.
Deadline for burn injury lawsuits
As per Georgia’s statute of limitations, you need to file your burn injury lawsuit within two years from the accident date. The deadlines are precise, and if you miss that, the court will typically deny your case. It is also important that you start gathering evidence soon after the accident because proving fault and liability could be an uphill task.
Find the right lawyer
Not all injury lawyers have experience or expertise in handling burn injury lawsuits, and therefore, it is a good idea to review a few options. When you meet an attorney, ask these questions –
- How often do you handle burn injury claims in your practice?
- Are you locally based in Atlanta?
- What are your impressions of my claim? How much is my case worth?
- Who is responsible for my case from your firm?
- What are the expected hurdles for the given circumstances?
- How much do I need to spend on other expenses?
- How much is your contingency fee?
- How long will it take to settle my burn injury claim?
- What are the dos and don’ts that I need to follow?
- How can I communicate with you for updates?
A good burn injury lawyer will be empathetic and ensure you have the answers. Remember that lawyers cannot guarantee an outcome, but they can ensure all necessary steps are taken to protect your rights. Speak to a lawyer immediately.