Can You Smoke After Lasik?
You can find yourself in this predicament if you’re a smoker. You want LASIK surgery to repair your vision. But you still crave cigarettes. Before you pick up a cigarette after LASIK, you should know a few things about smoking.
After Lasik, Dry eyes
Tiny nerves run through the cornea. These neurons are in charge of sensing dry eyes on the eye’s surface and promoting the production of other tears. However, these nerves are briefly disturbed following LASIK. The therapy and the LASIK flap generated below the cornea’s surface sever the connections of these neurons. These nerves regenerate, but the eye’s ability to produce tears is reduced until that happens. The eye becomes dry.
The eye becomes itchier when it dries out. It causes an increase in inflammation on the eye’s surface. Extra inflammation on the surface will operate as a bottleneck to the eye’s tear production. In consequence, dryness causes inflammation, and inflammation causes further dryness. It’s a never-ending downward spiral.
Following LASIK, it’s critical to cure dry eye (often with preservative-free artificial tears +/- other treatments) and prevent additional inflammation on the eye’s surface. After Lasik, the goal is to maintain the look of calm and comfortable. In contrast, preventing excessive dryness until the cornea nerves can regenerate. As a result, we begin to smoke…
The Eyes and Smoking
For smokers, what does this extra dry eye mean? Smoke is a known irritant to the eyes. It is something you already know if someone has ever blown smoke in your face. Your eyes grow red and angrier if you spend time in a smoky area. Smoking after LASIK will irritate your eyes even more. More inflammation and pain will result from this irritation.
More inflammation and dryness will result from this aggravation. We aim to prevent this type of dry eye after Lasik surgery (Visual Aids Centre). It can help to speed up the healing process following a dry eye attack.
Other notable smoking-related eye problems
Smokers are more likely to develop glaucoma, cataracts, optic nerve difficulties, macular degeneration, inflammation inside the eye, and visual disorders associated with diabetes or thyroid disease! While It can treat some of these conditions. Many of them can result in long-term vision loss.
Is it better to smoke marijuana after LASIK than to smoke tobacco? Well, not quite.
Marijuana smoking produces reduced smoke volume. There will be minor smoke discomfort in the eyes. The good news about marijuana smoke is this. Marijuana, on the other hand, will make your eyes redder. THC is responsible for the redness in your eyes after smoking marijuana. THC dilates blood vessels throughout the body, including those in the eyes. More blood flows to the eyes’ surface due to the dilatation of blood vessels (giving the looks the bloodshot appearance). In addition to red blood cells, blood arteries also transport white blood cells (the cells that cause inflammation). As a result, THC can promote inflammation on the skin’s surface.
Marijuana and cannabinoid receptors on our tear-producing lacrimal gland have been proven to interact. THC can stimulate these receptors, reducing tear production even more after LASIK! We’re not looking for the ideal goal. You should avoid smoking marijuana or consuming other THC after LASIK to ensure the best possible healing.
What can be done to avoid smoking becoming a problem after Lasik surgery?
As you are undoubtedly aware, the most excellent cure to any problem is to stop smoking. But you already knew that; you’re not here for that. Quitting smoking might be difficult, but many options are available to assist you.
However, if you aren’t quite ready to give up smoking, there are still things you may do to avoid additional eye problems following Lasik surgery.
- Goggles – Goggles may appear strange, but they are an effective technique to keep smoke out of your eyes. Nothing will get inside the lenses and harm your eyes if the seal is good. But, since I already know you won’t be wearing goggles every time you smoke. I’ll move on to the following suggestion…
- Wrap sunglasses around your face – It’s almost like wearing goggles. They still provide enough protection against airflow entering and surrounding your eyes. They aren’t nearly as effective as goggles. But they do have the advantage in terms of appearance.
- Smoking in Public Places- When you take your smoke breaks outside. The smoke you make will blow away from you rather than concentrating on your eyes. Smoking in a tiny place, on the other hand, will quickly cause the smoke to build up and irritate your eyes even more. The most acceptable place to be is outside.
- Cutting back on nicotine- Smoking has a cumulative effect on the eyes that can be reduced by taking fewer smoke breaks. Nicotine cravings can be satisfied with patches, gum, or lozenges. All of which are available over the counter.
- Use preservative-free fake tears regularly – In addition to everything else, you should use extra fake tears if you smoke. These artificial tears will assist wipe any additional inflammation. From the eye’s surface, you are alleviating some of the irritation.
Consume Weed After LASIK: Smokeless Weed
Should you resume smoking pot again right away if your doctor has already approved you? Complete healing can take from 3 to 6 months. So even if your doctor has given you the green light, you must proceed with caution.
Suppose your eyes are still dry and uncomfortable. It’s advisable to stay away from weed products until the symptoms subside. Start with smokeless weed if you’re ready to start smoking pot again because it doesn’t emit any smoke that can hurt your eyes.
Following LASIK surgery, some of the best ways to consume marijuana include Pills, capsules, tablets, Edibles, Oils and tinctures, Lotions, and topical applications.
If you smoke after LASIK, it will take longer for you to recover from the treatment. In general, it is not advised after Lasik surgery. However, if you must smoke, do it as infrequently as possible and take extra care to protect your eyes as much as feasible. However, perhaps fostering the optimum recovery for your eyes will provide you with the motivation you require to stop.