Millions of people get involved in car accidents every year globally. While some of these accidents result in minor injuries, others can result in serious and even permanent injuries that need a longer recovery time which can sometimes even take years.
However, when you get involved in a car accident, you have to settle the claims before you can start focusing on your recovery. You don’t always need an attorney to settle these claims, especially if there were only minor injuries involved in the accident.
If you want to know how to handle an auto accident case with no lawyer, you must go through the guide on the website of Baumgartner law firm. These lawyers also provide free consultation for anyone who is looking out to know the process of settling accident claims without having to spend money on hiring a lawyer, which can add to the expenses.
Process of settling accident claims without hiring a lawyer
1. Evaluate the damage:
- You need to thoroughly analyze the physical damage that has occurred to your car during the accident.
- Add this to the medical expenses to evaluate the total amount of damage incurred to get an estimate of how much settlement amount you will need.
2. Talk to your insurance agent about the coverage they will provide:
- Once you have got an idea of the settlement claim you will be needing, talk to your insurance agent.
- Know what amount they are willing to cover for your losses.
- They will also make their analyses of the extent of physical damage and medical injuries before quoting the claim amount.
3. Collect the evidence:
- If you do not have an attorney, you will need to do this yourself.
- You will need the testimony of any witnesses, proof that the accident was not your fault, evidence of physical damage to a car, bills of car repair, medical documents to prove that you have suffered injuries, and medical bills.
- In the absence of evidence, it will be difficult to get a fair settlement.
4. Craft the demand letter:
- While crafting the demand letter, make sure to include exact numbers while explaining the losses.
- This is the time when you can ask for an increased claim amount.
- If you have proof of the fault of the other driver, you can even ask their insurance agent for settlement of additional charges.
- If the counter-offer that your insurance company sends after your reading your demand letter is acceptable and covers your expenses, it is prudent to settle this out of the court.
If you are not satisfied, this is when you should go to court. However, you should be prepared that the judges can make the decision in anyone’s favor, and there is always a risk of spending way more than you intended to receive.
While it is possible to settle your accident claim in court yourself, especially when the charges are small and you have not incurred any major injuries. It is not always that easy. People requiring coverage of extensive and sometimes even permanent medical bills when they are still in the hospital recovering from major injuries and suffering will need someone to represent them in the court to settle claims.