If someone had told our parents 20 years ago that they would replace landline phones with touchscreen mobile devices and be able to call each other by video link, we think they would at least not have believed it.
High-tech continues to make its mark on our daily lives, and the job market is no exception. While some cannot choose between a law degree and a technical education, others actively explore outer space and design robots, which are already gradually replacing human labor. Many professions can replace artificial intelligence, for example, a journalist, copywriter, whose specialty is paper writing and other jobs.
What will happen to the labor market in 20-30 years? Let’s look into the future together, but first, we will tell you whether the machine will replace human work in all areas.
Robot or man?
Thanks to artificial intelligence, it is becoming possible to replace humans in some work areas. In Japan, for example, machines can easily cope with cleaning, serving visitors, and performing specific tasks in factories. The employer does not have to worry about the motivation of such employees and their obedience to the law.
Researchers at Oxford believe that in 20 to 30 years, just under half of all jobs will be occupied by robots. It applies primarily to routine activities and professions of medium complexity. Already, more and more services are becoming self-service: gas stations, car washes, supermarket cash registers, etc.
It is believed that the life cycle lasts 10-15 years, after which it needs to be modernized. Otherwise, it risks becoming a thing of the past. It happens for several reasons:
- The volume of information is growing, and humans can no longer handle it. It is replaced by a computer that does its job clearly and quickly. It is evidenced by the automation of banking, accounting, and other businesses.
- There is practically no need for specialists who deal with data storage because it is easier and more convenient to store information on digital media. That is why professions like archivist and librarian are slowly becoming a thing of the past.
- The incredible power of the Internet is doing its job. Many data can be found on the vast global network, so there will soon be no need for tutors, tour operators, or legal consultants.
- Computer technology can simulate any picture, so there will be no offers on the labor market for stunt performers and stage set builders.
- 3D printing has made it possible to create human organs, not to mention construction materials and clothing, and because of this, many companies risk losing clients.
Here’s a shortlist of professions that may become obsolete in the future:
- notary public;
- tour guide;
- bank teller;
But don’t worry that we will all be without jobs shortly. Christopher Pissarides, a British economist and head of the Economics Department at the London School of Economics and Political Science, believes that there are six areas in which it will be impossible to replace human labor with robots in the next 20 years:
- real estate;
- the hotel, restaurant, and tourist business;
- psychologists, nannies, caregivers;
- minister of the church;
- the sphere of art.
The value of human labor in these areas will only increase. If you are on the verge of choosing your future profession, keep this in mind. To make a choice even easier, we suggest considering a list of the most in-demand jobs in the next 5 years.
Professions of the future according to Microsoft and The Future Laboratory
Judging by the near-term predictions, we are once again in for a technological revolution, and the demand for IT professionals will be enormous. According to an analysis by companies such as Microsoft and The Future Laboratory, more than half of today’s high school students will be in jobs that still exist.
Here are 10 professions of the future from Microsoft and The Future Laboratory:
- Virtual Reality Designer. Experts predict that there will be virtual reality offices, museums, and other objects that can be visited without leaving home very soon, in addition to the usual games. A new generation of designers will design them.
- Biohackers, i.e., specialists who research molecular biology, use available scientific figures data. It is planned that they will participate in the development of drugs to treat complex diseases.
- Robotics developers. With the development of artificial intelligence, there is a need for specialists who will develop ethical standards for robots. It is possible that machines capable of harming humans will emerge.
- Internet of Things analyst. Now almost all machinery and electronics are equipped with their own “brain.” It is predicted that shortly will require specialists who can integrate all appliances into a single system based on the “smart home” principle.
- Space Guide. We are on the threshold of a time when space will cease to be unattainable and turn into a place for tourism. For this, travelers will need an escort.
- A specialist in ecosystem restoration. Already many animals and plants are becoming endangered species. What will happen in a few decades? It is planned that specialists of this profile will “revive” the environment thanks to the genetic material collected in advance.
- Virtual guides and digital commentators. According to experts, very soon, virtual excursions will squeeze real ones. It is where we will need specialists familiar with virtual reality technologies.
- Curator of personal data. Can you imagine that soon a computer will be able to record our thoughts, memories, plans and share them on social networks? A specialist of this profile will merge all the information into a single stream and adapt it.
- An engineer for the development of continuous power devices. Perhaps very soon, we will be using solar and wind power as our primary power sources. The only disadvantage is that this will not always be possible due to the unstable weather. It will be up to the developers of constant power devices to solve the problem.
- Body Designer. A little more, and a person will be able to change his appearance and even his organs easily. Body designers are the creators of the body model, which will embody all the wishes of the patient, and this model in his work will already guide the surgeon.
The job market prospects for such global giants are impressive, which is only part of the more enormous iceberg. You should already be thinking about the future of your specialty and looking at the “Atlas of New Professions” to see what skills you should develop.
Where to apply?
Yes, the prospects of the labor market are impressive, the requirements for workers will be higher, so it is worth paying attention to the level of your professionalism right now. Don’t get upset if your education does not match the professions of the future that we talked about earlier. Remember that it is important not to chase trends, but to be a great specialist in your field, to constantly evolve and keep abreast of the latest developments in your industry.
Machines will gradually replace human physical labor, so it’s worth giving preference to occupations that involve mental work. Here are a few industries to look out for when applying:
We advise you to give preference to institutions of higher education because, as a rule, the level of education related to intellectual activity there is much higher than in colleges.
The rapid pace of technological development will very soon introduce changes into the labor market. We can already observe significant differences in Europe, and they will soon affect our country. And this is great, because, thanks to new market trends can significantly improve the quality of their lives if you are engaged in their development and to keep up with the times continuously.
It will take many years before new professions fill the labor market, but today you should think about your future. More often than not, study the changes that are taking place in your field of work, pay attention to what employers’ offers are becoming more and more popular, and do not be afraid to try your hand at other professions.
Pay special attention to developing skills such as:
good time management;
knowledge of foreign languages;
Make the concept of lifelong learning a part of your life. Our online program, Best Self-Education Techniques, will help you do just that, teaching you different techniques and models of self-education that you can use to learn faster and more effectively.
Whatever changes may await us in the future, choose your passion and be a top-notch professional in your field today.
Elissa Smart is an omnipotent demiurge behind PaperHelp’s blog. Driven by seething creativity, not only she helps students with particular research and writing requests, but also finds the energy to share her extensive expertise via blog posts.