A personal injury lawyer is a type of lawyer who provides legal services to people who claim to have been injured, physically or psychologically, as a result of the negligence of another person, company, government agency, or any other entity. Personal injury lawyers primarily practice in the field of law known as tort law.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Portland personal injury attorneys help their clients file lawsuits against the people or entities responsible for their injuries. They may also help them negotiate out-of-court settlements with the defendants. In some cases, personal injury lawyers represent their clients in both trial and settlement proceedings.
When you’ve been injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault, the last thing you want to do is navigate the legal system on your own. A personal injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve, but how do you know which one to hire? Follow these tips to find the right personal injury lawyer for your case.
- Look for a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law. This area of law is complex, and you want someone who knows the ins and outs.
- Make sure the lawyer has experience handling cases like yours. Every case is different, so you want someone who has dealt with similar situations before.
- Check out the lawyer’s track record. How many cases like yours has the lawyer won?
- Ask for referrals from people you trust. If you know someone who has been in a similar situation, ask them who they hired and if they were happy with the results.
- Meet with the lawyer before making a decision. This is your chance to get to know the lawyer and see if you feel comfortable working with them.
- Make sure you understand the fee agreement before signing anything. Some lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means they only get paid if you win your case. Others charge an hourly rate. Make sure you understand how the lawyer will be paid so there are no surprises down the road.
Benefits of Hiring a Personal Lawyer
There are many benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer. Some of the most common include:
- You will have someone on your side who is knowledgeable about the law and knows how to navigate the legal system.
- The lawyer can help you gather evidence and build a strong case.
- The lawyer can negotiate with the other party on your behalf to try to reach an out-of-court settlement.
- If your case goes to trial, the lawyer will advocate for you in front of a judge and jury.
- The lawyer can take care of all the paperwork and filings required in a personal injury case.
- The lawyer can deal with insurance companies so you don’t have to.
- The lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, don’t try to go it alone. Hire a personal injury lawyer to help you through this difficult time. By following these tips, you can find a personal injury lawyer in Portland who will help you get the compensation you deserve.