- One of the changes that may occur during menopause is an increase in body weight, largely due to the decline in estrogen and changes in fat and muscle distribution.
- It is possible to lose menopausal weight, but it’s more difficult than in the past and takes some planning and determination.
- A healthy diet is essential. The recommended plans include the Mediterranean diet, which focuses on whole foods, a low carbohydrate, high protein diet, or a vegetarian diet.
- Other tips include avoiding sugar and oily foods, exercising regularly, sleeping well, meditation, or taking one of the top-rated menopause supplements.
Gaining Weight During Menopause
It’s very common for women to put on extra weight once they reach menopause, especially in the hips, thighs, and abdomen. This is due to shifts in hormones that occur at this time, in particular, the decline in estrogen.
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are also genetic factors that play a role. If your mother or a close relative gained weight during menopause, you’re more likely to do so as well. Some of the extra weight you put on at this time may be due to shifts in muscle mass and fat that occur with age and not because of menopause. Age can also slow down the speed of calorie burning.
Fortunately, there are methods you can try to get back down to a weight you’re comfortable with. This is important, as being overweight has several health risks. In addition, consider trying one of the top-rated menopause supplements on the market to help you slim down.
How to Lose Menopause Weight
If you’re in menopause and have been putting on weight, don’t lose hope. There are many ways you can keep your weight down and stay slim and healthy. Consider some of the following weight loss tips.
1. Modify Your Eating Habits. To lose weight during menopause, you have to eat a quality diet very low in sugar, processed foods, and unhealthy fats. There’s some evidence that eating a high protein, low carbohydrate diet is an effective weight-loss method for menopausal women, while a low-fat diet is less effective.
A longitudinal study carried out by the Women’s Health Initiative discovered that menopausal women following a low-carb diet were less likely to put on extra weight. Another recommended regimen is the Mediterranean diet, which involves eating whole foods like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes. A vegan or vegetarian diet is also a good regimen.
2. Eat Smaller Portions. One of the most obvious ways to lose weight during menopause is to eat less than you ate before. Your body has changed, and you can’t take in the same number of calories as in the past without putting on weight. If you want to get rid of the menopause extra, cut your portions by at least 20%.
3. Keep a Food Journal. Writing a daily journal of the foods you eat is a great way to become aware of your habits, so you can change them. You should include the foods you are eating, the portions, and the time of each meal or snack. You may also include information like where you eat, with who, and how you were feeling to identify eating triggers.
4. Value Your Sleep. Poor sleep is connected to weight gain, so it’s essential to get 8 hours of rest every night. A lack of sleep activates the area of your brain that leads to consuming more food, so it leads to greater calorie intake during the day. A review in the Canadian Medical Association Journal discussed research supporting the premise that adequate sleep can decrease obesity.
5. Do Regular Exercises. Being more physically active is one of the best ways to manage your weight during menopause. You should do a minimum of 2 hours of exercise a week, preferably an aerobic workout that gets your heart going. A study in JAMA Oncology found that aerobic activity led to fat reduction in menopausal women.
6. Take a Natural Menopause Supplement. There are several organic menopause supplements on the market, which help with weight loss, and if you look carefully you can find the most effective ones. Estroven is a brand that is highly regarded, and the Estroven review posts were quite positive. Many women said it helped to get rid of their menopause weight quickly.
7. Rely on Your Social Support. Although this won’t directly lead to weight loss, spending time with friends and family and seeking support will elevate your mood. This means less emotional, lonely, bored eating and therefore fewer calories consumed. Also, you can use your friends and family as your weight loss support, for example by working out together.
8. Drink Less Alcohol. Alcohol is full of calories. If you like to drink, consider that you could be adding hundreds of extra calories to your daily allowance, and that is going to cause weight gain. If you don’t want to stop altogether, try to cut down on the amount. You can also try low-calorie beverages like wine or low-alcohol beer.
9. Try Mindfulness. Mindfulness is the practice of becoming fully aware of your surroundings and being present in the moment. It involves guided imagery and breathing techniques to reduce stress and anxiety and induce a greater state of relaxation.
There is evidence that mindfulness can help with weight loss. A study in the Journal of Medicine and Life found that mindfulness accompanied by a healthy diet led to weight loss in obese individuals.
Is Weight Loss Possible During Menopause?
Weight loss is certainly possible during menopause, but according to the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, it’s much more challenging. With the physical changes in your body, the weight may come off more slowly and this can lead to a decline in motivation to keep dieting for some women.
However, with the weight loss tips we’ve provided, it’s more than possible to get back to your ideal weight, and many women do. It takes perseverance and setting goals, and making your health a top priority.
The Final Word
Weight gain is one of the many challenges of menopause. Changes in estrogen levels and muscle and fat distribution can leave you packing on the pounds and wondering how to get rid of them. However, there are many ways of losing the menopause weight, such as following a healthy diet, sleeping well, exercising regularly, seeking out social support, and taking a natural menopause supplement like Estroven.
If you read through the Estroven review posts, you’ll see how helpful it is for menopause weight loss. With a little hard work and some good weight loss tips, you should be slimming down in no time.